Monday, November 2, 2009

Exploring Equality and Balance in Art

What's that? You don't like my blog? Why? Not enough images?

Oh, I'll give you images.

Anyway, last night my brain decided that it wanted to think about how to artistically balance two elements. Luckily for me, it provided two elements, shown here: Two V-shaped things made out of rods: one purple and one clear. (Brain, you made me play with layer effects to get that clear rod. Why did it have to be clear?) You can see all the details in the image- one rod of each pair longer than the other, alternating colors per rod size. They were interesting shapes, but I was upset with the way they were organized. They needed to be put in a more interesting pattern. My goal was to arrange these two shapes in a way that would show some structure, but would be interesting in contrast to each other, while keeping the original 'character' of the shapes constant. I mentally rotated one and put it on the end:
... and was immediately upset. This appears off-balance to me. Why? I seem to like alternating colors, but here the colors seem to be separated with one on each side. Just for kicks, I decided to alternate their positions:
... and automatically regret it. Now, not only are the colors still separate, but now the piece is closed-off and confined. I can barely see the original V shapes, now they look like a clear L and a purple L. This is even more off-balance than the last one. Yuck. Take it apart!
Well, that looks worlds better. The shapes show their original character, and now the colors aren't so clumped together. The parallel lines compliment each other, and there is still a sense of balance even though they aren't touching each other. It would even make a good logo! Not satisfied, I asked my brain: hey, what happens if I do the first thing, except with the bottom one flipped?
Dude, no. Even though the colors aren't on the same side of the picture, they still give the character of being part of one element. Now it's just two intersecting lines, more than anything else.

Is anyone starting to feel that no simple rotations or obvious movements will keep these two shapes in an artistic balance? That's what I started to feel. This is what the last image looks like separated a bit:
Wow, so there seems to be some sense of coherence there. It looks better than it would have if both were the same shape. Once again, the parallel lines compliment each other. But do we have to rely on the parallel lines? At this point, I also wanted a greater level of chaos. None of that vanilla 90° rotation crap for me, no sir. Keeping things straight and parallel was not the way to go with these shapes. The shapes are really similar enough so that we can do some fancy things:
Is the original V-ness of the shapes lost? Nah, to me the color difference still makes it look like two contrasting V-shapes. More importantly, it looks like a real-life image. It looks like an office chair with motion lines. With some nice sans-serif font, it makes a perfect logo for an office chair delivery service.

That's the stuff.

What else can you do with the rods to make them balance artistically while still keeping them interesting? Do you own an office chair delivery service?

2 comments:

  1. If your brain insists on clear rods, then put it all on a black background and add a light source for specular highlights. The balance you achieved at the end is kind of ruined by the fact that clear + white = invisible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO. NO SPECULAR HIGHLIGHTS.

    >:(

    Note: See the short-bus torus that I made in graphics class. Do you think I ever implemented specular highlights?

    ReplyDelete